Working in agribusiness doesn’t mean you need to dress like you work on the farm! And as a young professional, you have to establish a different wardrobe from college or weekend wear. This doesn’t mean you have to break the bank or have only work clothes in your closet. Finding a work wardrobe that goes the extra mile is simple if you just make sure you have these few work wardrobe essentials. I’ll also suggest a few of my favorite stores and the best ways to get more for your buck! You can check out the AgCareers.com Pinterest page for other great wardrobe ideas.
Wardrobe Essentials for Women
• Tan flats are great staple that can match all outfit colors – If you are willing to spend more for great quality, Tieks are comfortable flats that are very durable. Ann Taylor can have great sales and you can get stylish flats for a great price!
• Booties are a great way to transition between seasons without having to buy new shoes! Find a heel (or no heel) that you are comfortable with and you can wear them with all outfit types, dresses, leggings, slacks, and skirts. Check out DSW for a variety of prices and types!
• For more advice about which shoes are best for an interview or career fair, check out this infographic.
• Black and white shirts are very neutral but grey can go a long way too! Use these neutral colors and switch out with a colorful scarf, accessories or your favorite cardigan/blazer. Target has great affordable shirts in their Tee and Tank shop.
• Cardigans and Blazers are work wardrobe musts, and not just because the office is never the perfect temperature. Be fun with your cardigans if you like but don’t forget the neutral colors either! I love my winter white blazer and of course my khaki blazer because they are easy to switch out on the weekends with a pair of jeans!
• Everyone needs to have a great pair of black and khaki pants for work! I finally found the PERFECT pairs at Ralph Lauren outlet and Ann Taylor!
• I personally love skirts and J. Crew manages to give neutral skirts a great look! If you are wearing a neutral top feel free to spice it up with a cute pattern.
• Leggings are not pants but they are a great way to wear a dress or skirt during winter and pair with your booties! If you have a tunic feel free to wear it over a pair of thick leggings. Stay away from colorful patterns and keep it simple!
• I love wearing a sundress in the fall and winter with a cardigan and/or leggings and it gives your sundress extra mileage from spring and summer!
• You can also find a great neutral dress, white/black/grey, that can be brightened up with colorful accessories or blazer.
Check out J. Crew Factory for great prices on all these staples mentioned!
Wardrobe Essentials for Men
• Brown dress oxfords are a wardrobe must for men! DSW has a great selection with a variety of prices.
• Having a good button down shirt is hard to find, too short, too long, doesn’t have a pocket, etc. Any blue or black patterned shirt is a great staple that can be paired with a blazer for an instant transformation from business casual to business professional! Untuckit has a great selection to help make those transitions and from season to season.
• Golf (or polo) shirts are staples for summer. Pair with shorts or slacks for a great office look!
• If you are looking for a perfect fit shirt, check out Made-To-Order companies, such as Ledbury or Proper Cloth.
• Sweaters/Blazers: A v-neck or zip sweater is great to throw over your button down for winter. Check out this half zip from J. Crew Factory. A black and/or blue blazer is also a work wardrobe staple! J. Crew, Target and Banana Republic have great affordable options!
• Khakis, black, and blue pants are a staple for men’s work wardrobe. Department stores such as Macy’s and Kohl’s can be a great way to find affordable slacks during holiday sales.
• Dress shorts are welcoming their way into the workplace even more. Use them as a way to bring color into your outfit but make sure they are just to your knee and not too short.
The best way to get these clothes at the best price is to shop during holiday weekend sales, sign up for online newsletters to get discount codes or subscriber only sales, and download their app for instore coupons. Check out RetailMeNot.com and BradsDeals.com: they will provide the best ways to get an item for the lowest price possible. Look for more work wardrobe essentials on the AgCareers.com Pinterest page and look for an infographic about work wardrobe essentials coming soon.